Here is a list of our top 15 frequently asked questions about our services, our heating oil delivery, and heating oil in general.
- How do I pay my bill?
To pay your bill, you can go to our payment portal online: Payment Portal
Or you can give us a call!
- How can I save money on my oil bill?
- Clean your burner. Burners that are not cleaned regularly do not burn efficiently.
- Upgrade your burner. Older systems do not burn oil as efficiently as the newer models.
- Install zones into your home, so that you aren’t heating areas of your house if you aren’t using them…so if your basement is on one zone, you probably only need to heat that while you are working out.
- How many gallons will I typically burn in a week?
This is really a loaded question, as there are multiple variables that determine usage. Here are a few:
- The single most dependent factor is the temperature outside. If it is a harsh winter, then you can expect to use more oil.
- Secondly, the size of your home can make a huge impact. The more you need to keep warm, the more oil it takes to achieve that.
- If you have your home heating zoned, then your usage will also depend on how well you manage these zones and how often you use each zone.
- Weatherization or how well your home’s structure insulates from the outside environment.
- Burner age and cleanings. Older burners and burners that haven’t been cleaned regularly will use more oil, because they are less efficient.
If you are a Powers customer, we have a general usage history for your account and we can actually give you a pretty good answer for this. Feel free to give us a call.
- When should I replace my burner?
Short of your burner not working, if your burner is more than 20 years old, there is a very good chance that you are not burning oil efficiently. It may be time to look at some newer models.
- How often should I clean my burner?
Your burner needs to be cleaned annually to maintain peak performance.
- When is the best time to clean my burner?
We recommend cleaning your burner in late spring to early fall. It is better to not clean the burner during the winter, because you will have downtime for heating your home. It is also usually more expensive to clean it during the winter months.
- Is heating oil efficient?
Actually, yes! It is quite an efficient heating method. Unlike 30 years ago, burner technology is quite good.
Here is a more info: https://powers-oil.com/articles/heating-oil-myth-vs-fact-infographic/
- Is heating oil safe?
Yes, heating oil is very safe. It takes an advanced high-tech vaporizing burner to ignite heating oil.
- How do I get a delivery?
Feel free to call us.
- Do you have delivery options?
Yes, we do. The best option is automatic delivery. This means that we estimate your tank levels based on your past usage and environmental factors, so you never run out.
To find out more, check out our blog post: https://powers-oil.com/articles/5-questions-automatic-heating-oil-delivery/
- What is the minimum delivery?
- What is your delivery service area?
We are based in North Attleboro and we deliver to an approximate 15 mile radius. For more information, visit our Service Areas Page.
- How do I know how much oil is in my tank?
That is a very good question. First off, you should check your tank gauge once per week in the winter months to ensure that you don’t run out. Call us when the tank is about 25% full. Here is
an infographic showing how much oil is in your tank at different levels of fullness.
- What if my burner doesn’t start?
If your burner doesn’t start, follow this guide:
- How do I become a customer?
Becoming a customer is as easy as filling out our online form, Become A Customer or give us a call! 508.695.8700